Monday, August 04, 2008

Running With Scissors

I finished Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs today.

I realized when I started reading this book that I must have read it before. Although as a rule I don't read books more than once, with a movie recently made based on this memoir, I decided to read it again.

This is a memoir about a boy who's mother sends him to live with his psychiatrist and the unusual childhood he endured.

Written in a comedic style and yet with a hint of a child/adolescent's perspective, this memoir is unique. Burrough's writing style and content can be a bit rough and in-your-face, but totally appropriate for the content.

I was a bit perturbed at the ending, and without giving too much away, will say that I did not feel the characters got any sort of resolution at the end. The end felt rushed and incomplete. This is somewhat softened by the listing of characters in the epilogue and the paths life took them. Additionally, if you read Burroughs memoir of his adult years, Dry, you do get a bit more resolution.

I have the movie in my Netflix queue, and the previews look hilarious. I may enjoy the movie more than the book for once!

No comments: