Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Red Striped Socks

Another project down! I actually finished the knitting of these before the new year, but did not graft the second toe and weave in the ends until yesterday.


Pattern: Yarn Harlot Basic Sock Recipe
Yarn: Reynolds Swizzle 1 ball
Needles: US 1 Addi Turbo 16" Needles
Gauge: 8 Stitches per inch


I am pretty happy with how these came out, being my first fingering weight socks, but I am not sure I will knit them again, as they were a little too plain. I like a little bit more excitement in my patterns. I think my next pair of socks may be a pair of Jaywalkers.

I might try a wider toe, this one is 16 stitches ( 8 and 8 grafted together). Its not bad, but I think it could be more comfortable. I like the slip stitch heel, although I ripped it out 3 or 4 times, before I realized I was reading the directions incorrectly, and finally got it right!

Even thought these were boring to knit, I think I may be an official sock addict. As I was knitting them, I picked up more yarn to knit 4 more pairs of socks, and already have some patterns picked out. I was especially pleased with knitting on two circular needles. I find it to be much easier than double points, and makes for less laddering between needles. It is actually a fairly easy technique. You can find a video about the technique here.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Congrats on a great pair of socks! They may have seemed boring, but sometimes you just need a plain stockinette to show off a pretty yarn.