Friday, June 01, 2007

Frustration

So, I was feeling pretty confident about myself as a knitter....until last night. Yesterday I found this gorgeous lace pattern called Branching Out. I have a skein of lace yarn from Knit Picks called Alpaca Cloud that I was going to make Airy Scarf from Last-Minute Knitted Gifts. However, when I saw Branching Out, I decided that this was what I should use this skein for. Knitty even states that this is a great first lace project. So I sat down last night and put Not Your Standard-Issue Sweatshirt aside and attempted to tackle lace.

After ripping it out 4 times, I gave up. First I had trouble with the counting aspect of it. After consulting a great lace tutorial called Majoring in Lace, I successfully fixed the pattern reading aspect and started over. Then I just had trouble seeing what I was doing and had no idea how to begin fixing dropped stitches and mistakes; something I have quite proudly mastered in non-lace knitting.

Perhaps I will use that skein for Airy after all for a truly beginner lace project. I may return t0 Branching Out, but may try it in a larger yarn such as sport weight until I get the hang of lace so that I can actually see what I am doing.

No comments: