Saturday, June 30, 2007

Trip to Connecticut

On Wednesday, I headed up to Connecticut to do some wedding planning. I was hoping to get some quality knitting time in on the train, but having just come off night shift, I pretty much slept the whole trip up to Connecticut. Almost everytime I come up here, I manage to sneak into a yarn store. There is one about 1.5 miles from my parents house in Old Saybrook called Saybrook Yarn that I love to pop into. Especially since I really don't have to go out of my way at all to get there.

Another place I love to go up here is Yarns Down Under in Deep River. They have the most luxurious yarns. I love touching all the yarns in this store and the staff has been very helpful everytime I go in.

My sister, Becky, who knits but doesn't believe in patterns and doesn't understand the merits of high quality yarn mentioned another yarn store that she had passed by in her travels of the backroads in Connecticut. She offered to show me where it was on Thursday. So I went and picked up my grandmother (also a knitter) and we all went over the this beautiful yarn store in Haddam called Woolie Bullies. It is in this beautiful old church on a hill, and you would almost miss it if you weren't looking. The woman who owns it runs it out of the front of her house. She works mostly by appointment, but luckily was around when we stopped by, as we had no appointment.

Woollie Bullies has a large selection of yarns and a lot of things I had never seen before. They also had Farmhouse Yarns, which I learned about recently in a podcast I was listening to. Such beatiful hand-dyed yarn. It was about $18 for a 200 yard skein though, so I decided to hold off. With a lot of wedding expenses in the last few and upcoming months and the current size of my yarn stash, I decided that the Farmhouse Yarn could wait for another day.

I did pick up a skein of Maratona Extrafine Merino and a skein of Kid Mohair for the Bunny Beanie Hat I am going to start on soon. I will post pics of the yarn when I am at my own computer. My sister also discovered Alpaca, and spent a lot of time pinning over it in the store.

I also received some knitpicks yarn in the mail before I left Philly. I ordered a variety of colors of Shine Sport for Fair Isle Cardigan from Debbie Bliss Simply Baby, and 19 skeins of Wool of the Andes for the Vogue Knitting Bell Sleeve Jacket.

To top off the weekend, in the midst of the programs, checking in with the tux place, the favors, the trial hair run and the wedding gown fitting, I managed to get a fair amount of knitting done this weekend in the car and while waiting for it to get dark enough to go see the fireworks on Long Island Sound tonight. I am about 3 inches from finishing the hood for Not Your Standard Issue Sweatshirt and then it is just the I-cord and a small amount of seaming to do and it will be complete. I should be done with the knitting after the train ride back to Philly tommorrow.

No comments: