Saturday, December 22, 2012

Swaddle Cocoon

A friend of mine pointed me in the direction of this pattern, and it just may become my go-to gift for new babies.  It is quick, easy and beautiful.  And once I have two infants at home, quick and easy is a must if I am to get any gift knitting done at all!


Pattern: Laurel Love Cocoon by Melissa Riley
Needles: Size 13 Circular 40" Needles (I used the Magic Loop Method)
Yarn: Plymouth Yarn Baby Alpaca Grande
Made for: The Twins (Baby Boy and Baby Girl H)

First Cocoon Started: December 14, 2012
Completed: December 16, 2012

Second Cocoon Started: December 16, 2012
Completed: December 18, 2012


I learned the Magic Loop Method for this project, and while I found the method easy enough, I think I prefer the Two Circular Method of knitting for in the round to Magic Loop.  I did have a little bit of difficulty with laddering/loose stitches at the sides, but I found if I paid close attention I could eliminate this as I was switching sides. I do prefer Magic Loop to the more fiddly double points for small circular projects.


If you are interested in learning Magic Loop, here are two tutorials I found helpful:

1. Knitting Daily
2. Commuter Knitter

I will have to take pictures of the cocoons with babies in them.  I think the effect it lost without proper models to show them off. 

No comments: